Thursday, July 02, 2009

My First Day of Retirement


I decided to spend my first day of retirement at the Men's Quarterfinals of Wimbledon. I arrived at Noon the day before in hope to be one of the first 500 people in line which guarantees you a Centre Court ticket. I arrived at Southfields tube station and walked as fast as I could past everyone I could see carrying a tent knowing that every person I passed was a better chance at the elusive Centre Court ticket. I arrived at the back of the line to find out I was number 494!

I went to Wimbledon last year and on day two this year but had only been able to get grounds tickets or resale tickets for Court 1. It was kind of an unfulfilled childhood dream to see a match on Centre Court. I grew up watching Wimbledon with my dad every summer. Some of my best July 4th Celebrations were spent waking up early and watching Sampras in the Men's Final with my Dad. Here's a pic of the new Sampras: (I took lots of pics and he always had this focused look on his face. He's unfortunately about to pass Pete on the all time Grand Slam win list.)

It was a pretty stellar day of tennis. I saw James Blake and Marty Fish play doubles for an hour before I had to make my way to Centre Court for the 1pm Federer match. Federer made quick work of his 6'10" opponent before Andy Murray came on for a slightly more entertaining 3 set victory. I really wanted to see Roddick play the rejuvenated Leyton Hewitt but he was playing on Court 1. Luckily I found a sweet old lady leaving early from the match who gave me her ticket (Sorry to all the Aussies waiting patiently in the resale line!). I got to see Roddick pull out the win in the 5th set in what was by far the best match of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment